Every Day is a Goggle Tour at Gear West Bike
Some of you may have heard about the SlowTwitch goggle tour running for the next few months at various shops around the country: Slowtwitch Goggle Tour. Here’s the basic idea as described by Slowtwitch founder Dan Empfield, “Since a lot of swimming is going on in Slowtwitchland right now, we thought it a good time to establish, once and for all, your most comfortable, watertight, goggles with the lens and visibility you like best. All participating retailers will be stocked up on Aqua Sphere, blueseventy and Zoggs goggles as well as other goggles they may carry. Part of the ‘protocol’ here (all our virtual ‘Tours’ have their protocols) is that all participating stores will have demo goggles – out of the aftermarket packaging – for you to fit up to your face, so that you can make a seal (or fail to), check out the optics, the field of vision, lens distortion or (hopefully) the lack thereof.”
Great idea we say. And we don’t want to limit you to just a few weeks of goggle try-on or just a few brands. It’s always been our everyday policy that customers are welcome to take goggles out of the packaging, try them on, test the seal, the tint, the optics. And furthermore, if you purchase a pair of goggles from us and they don’t work for you, come on back in and we’ll take them back and find a replacement that does meet your needs. Perhaps we haven’t done a great job communicating this policy so we wanted to let all of you now that you are welcome to come in for a “Goggle Tour” at your convenience. We have a great selection of goggles from Aquasphere, Blue Seventy and Zoggs (all included on the tour), as well as models from Speedo, TYR and Sable Water Optics. Come on in and try a few on to see what you like.
The best way to compare goggles is to take them out of the package and try them on. You are looking for a comfortable fit and seal without having to over tighten the straps. If you press the goggles to your face without the strap on you should feel some momentary suction indicating a secure seal. Just a momentary suction is fine the goggles do not need to stay in place for long.
Here’s a sampling of what we carry and what might work well for you:
For Male Triathletes or People With Larger Faces – Blue Seventy Hydra-Vision, Aquasphere Kayenne (below), Aquasphere Kaiman or Kaiman Exo
For Male Triathletes or People With Smaller Faces – Blue Seventy Siren, Aquasphere Kayenne Lady or Small Kit, Aquasphere Kaiman or Kaiman Exo Lady or Small Fit
For those that Want the Very Best Optical Quality – Sable Water Optics 101
For New Swimmers or Anxious Swimmers – Aquasphere Vista Mask
For Pool Swimmers and Traditionalists – Speedo Vanquisher 2.0 or Women’s Vanquisher, Blue Seventy Nero, Speedo Swedish Goggles
For Outdoor Swimmers that Desire Polarization – Zoggs Predator Flex (below), TYR Special Ops
For Kids – Aquasphere Kayenne Jr, Aqauasphere Vista Mask Jr, Blue Seventy Hydra-Vision Jr, Speedo Vanquisher Jr
After you try on a few goggle options checkout our full line of swim accessories: pull buoys, kickboards, nose clips, ear plugs, swimmer’s snorkels, swim watches and heart rate monitors, fins and paddles. We also carry a full selection of men’s and women’s swimwear in sizes 28-40 in both Extra Life Lycra and Polyester from Blue Seventy, Speedo, Adidas, and Sugoi. And finally check out our library of Swimming Books and DVD’s from Velo Press and Total Immersion.
Stop in and check out our swim shop within the bike shop! – Gear West Bike & Tri Swim Shop
Mark your calendars for next Thursday, December 13th, from 5 pm – 8 pm as it will be a night you don’t want to miss! Here is what the night will entail:
- Rub shoulders with U.S Olympic Triathlete Gwen Jorgenson and get your questions answered during her 30 min Q&A Session starting at 6pm. Learn how she quickly transferred to triathlon’s top rung, competing with the likes of Sarah Groff and Laura Bennett after being a standout in running and swimming!
- Preview 2013 clothing from Hincapie, CEP, PoCampo, and SheBeest. Learn first hand from industry representatives!
- Take advantage of store-wide holiday specials (Think Black Friday prices or better!) Preview to come soon!
- An opportunity to win give-aways from Hincapie, CEP, and SheBeest with no purchase necessary!
- Holiday refreshments (Holiday Cookies, Coffee & Hot Cocoa) and the chance to catch up with your fellow multisport athletes
To lubricate your holiday shopping, get 1/2 off a tune-up (up to $45 in value) when you spend $100 or more in-store during the evening.
If you spend $200 or more, not only do you get the 1/2 tune-up certificate, but a $25 Gear West Bike Gift Card to be used during a future purchase! So, in all, you could save up to $70 off your future purchase of a tune-up and accessories if you play your cards correctly!
We hope to see you, whether if it is to mingle with fellow athletes, cross some items off your shopping list, or hear from Olympic Athlete Gwen Jorgenson!
Registration is open for the 2013 Gear West Duathlon! We have many exciting changes to tell you about. We have partnered with Zipp Speed Weaponry to continue to bring you the most affordable, professionally run, duathlon in the Midwest! Check out what 2013 brings below:
New for 2013:
- The event will start and end at Orono High School (Just ¼ mile north of old venue) giving you and your family a fantastic race venue!
- We will have an enclosed tent for packet pick-up, race morning shelter, and the after race breakfast.
- Did you say breakfast? Yes, we will be serving pancakes and Caribou Coffee.
- We will have on-site child care for the little ones, allowing them to play under supervision and within range of transition.
- The run course will be slightly different with a nice long finishing chute for a strong finish!
Exclusively from Zipp Speed Weaponry:
- The first 100 people to register will receive a limited edition Zipp Top Tube Bag.
- On the first of each Month, Zipp will be giving away the following to one GW Duathlon participant:
- February 1st– Two Zipp Tangente Tires
- March 1st –Two Zipp Carbon Bottle Cages and water bottles
- April 1st –Zipp Double Wheel Bag
- May 1st –Zipp Gear/Transition Bag
*Additionally, on race morning, May 18th at 8 am, one pair of Zipp 404 Clinchers will be given away to ONE LUCKY PARTICIPANT!